Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

October 14, 2012

What a day yesterday. I was going to post last night but I'm ashamed to say, I fell asleep in the chair in front of my computer.

Yesterday was all about gardening and Mom and I were lazy about getting started. Mom said when the alarm went off, she was still tired and I was still tired so she shut the lights back out and went back to sleep. Wow, I couldn't believe it when I woke up and it was 7:30. I NEVER sleep that late!

Anyway, by the time we had our coffee and fed the critters and I cleaned the litter boxes, it was about 10:00 by the time we headed outside. I told Mom I wasn't going to try to dig as fast as I could go and be worn out in a few hours. I thought I'd pace myself and try to just keep working steady. My sister, Judy, came over to help and boy, all I can say is, I think we did a great job as a team. Mom trimmed the daylily tops back and wrote the list as they were planted, raked to dirt for the next row, plus carried pots over to the row where I was planting. And remember that I said the tiller quit? Well, Judy jumped in and started preparing the ground with this interesting little tool that has a miniature hoe on one side of the head and three blades on the opposite side of the head. She was a wonder!

All I did was dig the holes and plant the daylilies. Well, I did move the string and help Mom rake the next row down occasionally, plus carried a lot of plants over but I just kept digging, and digging, and digging........

We decided to stop and get something to eat around 3:00. I drug out the trusty little Hibatchi and grilled some burgers and hotdogs. Mom had been really curious about trying some veggie burgers so I had picked some up a while back when we were in Walmart. So I grilled 2 varieties..... Tomato and Basil Pizza Burgers and Mushroom Lovers Burgers. Judy's husband wasn't quite brave enough to try the veggie burgers so I fixed a few hotdogs also. Well, I can tell you, the burgers were delicious. As Judy said,  she was really surprised. Mom was pleased and commented that when we go to Walmart the next time, she will be buying more.

So after the lunch break, we were back at it and worked until it got dark. Well, I did take time to take some pictures since I knew you all enjoyed seeing them. It won't be much of a year for fall foliage but I decided to shoot a few pictures. We have a High Wind advisory today and there are storms coming so there probably won't be much left after today.......

But anyway..... enjoy!


And it just wouldn't be complete if I didn't let you see that rose up close, would it?

 And now, wasn't today all about gardening? Did you ever wonder what someone looked like after they'd planted 225 daylilies?

Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty! I'm not about to show you what it looked like when we finished the day with 265 planted!

Oh, and by the way, that puts us up to 1003 planted so far.... maybe 200 or so diploids left to go and I don't know how many tetraploids...... well over 1000, I'm sure.

And so the saga continues.......

No comments:

Post a Comment